Button up shirts are a wardrobe staple, but hanging in the closet (and to the untrained eye) they can seem a little stuffy or formal.
Au contraire. Whether worn with a French tuck maneuver or boss-energy outfit pairings, button up shirts can easily be dressed up or down—perfect for any occasion, any season.
If you’ve wondered how to style a button up shirt to expand your fashion repertoire, we’ve assembled 6 fresh ways to take your button up shirts from straight-laced to sexy (and everywhere in between).
#1 Choose A Bold Hue
Something about a button up shirt in an eye-catching color or print exudes cool.
Whether you wear it withwide-legged trousers or slouchy black jeans, this mainstay is all about effortless style. Here’s how to style it:
- Experiment with buttoning – To style your button up more like a jacket, open it over a plain short sleeve tee. For more definition around the hips, button only the lower half. Or, button only the top one or two buttons, leaving the lower ones loose for an unexpected twist.
- Choose bold hues or patterns – Instead of a plainwhite button up, jazz it up in a floral, retro print or a statement shade.
- Change the look with different trousers – Pair your button up with distressed jeans for a carefree vibe. On the other hand, wide-legged trousers in tweed create a commanding, office-inspired look.
#2 Wear Over A Bralette
Sometimes, rediscovering how to style collared shirts with a powerful twist simply means spotlighting the layers beneath them. If you’ve ever wondered how to layer clothes stylishly, you can! If you’re feeling bold, try wearing yours unbuttoned over a bralette, sports bra, or cropped tee for more coverage.
Style it by:
- Choosing a neutral button down shirt and a bralette in a bold, contrasting color
- Buttoning up or down according to how much skin you want to show
- Tying a knot at the waistline but keeping it unbuttoned to make it fun and playful
#3 Pair With A Blazer and Trousers
Ready to make a powerful impression at work? Take your button up shirt to the next level by tucking it into high-waisted pants and topping it with ablazer coat.
Add your own twist by:
- Belting it– Try leaving your shirt untucked but belted. This creates a dramatic silhouette while defining the waistline.
- Matching or juxtaposing– Choose matching pants and a blazer for a full suit effect. Or, go for a patterned blazer with solid pants for a casual look (but still oh-so-sharp).
- Choose your shoes– Opt for a pair of statement heels for the full-onpower suit ensemble. For a more androgynous vibe, try sneakers or loafers.
#4 Layering With Coveralls
A button up shirt makes a unique pairing with your favorite coveralls. Denim or canvas textiles give a utilitarian look, while jumpsuits in a neutral palette appear more polished.
You can make this look your own by:
- Sporting your button up open over yourcoveralls (just like a jacket)
- Wearing it under your coveralls with a few buttons undone to keep it casual
- Knotting your button up around your midriff over your coveralls for a playful look
- Cuffing your coveralls at the ankle for a rough-and-tumble vibe, then completing the look with sturdy boots or femme-forward sneakers
#5 Tie It Up
Turn your button up shirt into a crop top in minutes with a simple front-tie knot! The best thing about this hack? You can tie your shirt as high or as low as you like, and it’ll still look fantastic either way.
To pull off the look, we recommend:
- Pairing your knotted button up with high-waisted shorts for a retro feel
- Opting for high-waisted jeans, a skirt, or trousers, and tie the knot low on occasions where you want to keep your midriff covered
Finish the look with a pair of strappy sandals, layered necklaces, and a fedora for a boho chic vibe.
#6 Play With A Half-Tuck
For a more relaxed yet still put-together look, try the “half-tuck” (also known as “the French tuck,” for all you Tan France fans out there). All that’s required is to tuck in the front part of your shirt while leaving the back hanging free.
Channel this laid-back but sophisticated style by pairing it with distressed jeans for the weekend or high-waisted trousers for a more office-ready look. This look works best with your shirt fully or mostly buttoned—but feel free to experiment with leaving a gap to show off a tee or bralette underneath!
Roll up your sleeves, add a few layered necklaces for a touch of edge, and finish with chunky boots or sneakers—voilà. The classics, styled your way.
Reveal Your Personal Style With WILDFANG
A button up shirt can easily become one of the most versatile pieces in your wardrobe with just a few simple styling tricks. However, if you’re wondering whether your button down shirt can be just as versatile, you can learn about the difference between a button up vs button down. Change up your accessories and styling and your favorite button up can go from making a strong statement at the office to looking casually cool on your next date night.
With button ups in every color and cut, plus high-quality blazers, tees, and accessories,WILDFANG has everything you need to stand out from the crowd no matter where you go.