Once donned by the rowers of Cambridge and Oxford in the 1800s, blazers have evolved from loosely fitted outerwear to a powerful piece full of possibilities. Though the blazer origin isn’t exactly the same today, the blazer coat is a fashion staple worn by trendsetters around the world—and that’s at least partially due to its versatility.
For masc and femme styles alike, the classic blazer can be a piece that adds edge or structure to your fit. It has the capacity to elevate a casual look and polish an elegant outfit. You read that right—this coat’s practically a chameleon.
Whether you’re enjoying brunch with your best friends, making an appearance at a family birthday bash, or attending a formal affair fit for the stars, you can bet your favorite streaming service that there’s a blazer to match. Let’s explore how to style blazers for any event.
#1 Elevate Your Look for a Formal Event
Just because tuxedos and floor-length gowns are the status quo at a formal affair doesn’t mean you can’t stand out in your own bold blazer ensemble. From weddings to galas, all it takes is an eye-catchingart deco tux blazer to add some spice to the classic pantsuit.
Here are a few tips to complete your sophisticated ensemble:
- Accessorize with the best of them – Rock abolo chain tie on top of a brightly-colored button-down shirt. This sleek and modern take on the traditional tie brings a little extra zest to your look.
- Find standout shoes to match – Pair your ensemble with a pair of black ankle boots or vegan leather loafers to maximize your luxe look.
#2 Keep it Business Casual for a Cocktail Party
By definition, a cocktail party categorizes itself as a delicate balance between formal and casual. Of course, that isn’t the most useful explanation when you’re trying to choose between a glam cocktail dress or a classic V-neck T-shirt and tailored pants.
But you know what never goes out of style? A blazer.
If you’re wondering how to wear a blazer in such a setting, you’ve got plenty of options. And no matter how you prefer to style it, there’s a semi-formal blazer to match your cocktail attire vibe:
- The tailored and fitted blazer with a little black dress – Interested in wearing your fresh-off-the-rack LBD or even a slip dress to an upcoming company mixer? You’ll look edgy and elegant by pairing it with afitted black blazer to match. Keep it formal with a pair of chunky black wedges or dress it down with some faux leather platform Chelsea boots.
- The dressy-casual T-shirt and blazer – For a fancy-adjacent event like hors d'oeuvres with friends, cruise through the day in confidence with your favorite printed T-shirt, adouble-breasted blazer, and a pair of twill trousers. Finish the semi-casual look with a chunky necklace and a pair of mules or vegan leather sneakers.
#3 Introduce Your Blazer to Casual Wear at a Family (or Friend) Gathering
If you’re going to your BFF’s wedding shower or your cousin’s long-awaited grad party, show up in a blazer that sets you apart.
A luxurious mauvevelvet blazer and matchingwide-leg trouser is the perfect combo for any semi-casual party. The oversized soft material of the blazer paired with the flowy trousers makes for the ultimate blend of cool, casual,and comfortable—a must-have trifecta for this vintage style.
Pair your look with some of the following accessories for the ultimate plush-yet-stylish combo:
- Jazz it up with some jewelry – A pendant or brooch attached to the collar will take your retro-style blazer game to the next level. If you prefer something a little more modern, try accessorizing with some long chunky necklaces.
- Finish it off with the perfect pair of shoes – Dress up your outfit with a pair of simple black heels or keep it casual with some classic Converse.
#4 Bring Your Blazer to Brunch
Nothing beats dressing up with your closest friends for a night out or a fancy brunch. While you could show up in your go-to loungewear and coziest slides (we’ve all been there), sometimes it’s nice to try a little something new. And the many types of blazers are perfect for that.
If you’re interested in spicing up your nightand your wardrobe, consider some of these trendy blazer styles:
- Opt for an oversized blazer and shorts – We love the fresh look of a blazer styled with a classic pair of pleated shorts or bike shorts. It’s the go-to brunch ensemble when the weather isn’t too hot or too cold—it’sjust right (like this outfit). To complete the look, simply tuck in your favorite classic band tee, throw on your blazer and finish off the look with a pair of chunky boots for the ultimate laid back style.
- Be bold in a sleeveless blazer vest and jeans – Who said a blazer had to have sleeves? Certainly not us. An oversized sleeveless blazer pairs perfectly with a pair of straight-leg or oversized jeans. Keep the blazer buttoned and wear it as a statement piece or keep it open with a monochrome fitted tank underneath. Pair the blazer and denim look with a pair of strappy sandals or tennis shoes andvoila—an outfit masterpiece.
- Skip the underlayers– Want an easy way to liven up your blazer look for a night out? Wear your blazer without a shirt underneath (trust us—it’s as liberating as it sounds) and throw on some long necklaces to add interest. For a casual blazer dress look, pair it with your favorite sneakers or opt for heels for a night out.
Find the Perfect Blazer for Any Occasion with WILDFANG
When it comes to learning how to style a blazer, the options are endless. From lavish weddings to nightlife outings, dress them up or down to create a one-of-a-kind look for any occasion.
At WILDFANG, we’re here to celebrate you however you show up in the world. With a wide selection of clothing styles made for you to feel confident and empowered, you can sport your newest shirt dress at brunch today AND put on your favorite unique suit and tie for drinks with friends tomorrow.
Join us as we embrace all the looks that allow you to be unapologetically you—and look and feel badass while doing it.
Vogue.Everything You Need to Know About the History of the Blazer.